Last updated on January 28th, 2017
This 150 year-old neo-Gothic, church-like building is home to the library of one of Hungary’s most prestigious universities. During WW II this monumental building was used as one of the German headquarters, which resulted in severe damage during bombings. Fortunately by 1949 the Hungarian government managed to restore the building to its former glory. The library’s most beautiful location is the neo-Gothic reading-room, with its slim pillars forming its semi-central apsis, contrasted by the parallel rows of oak desks. The large arched windows give the room clear natural lighting, but for a more atmospheric feel one can light the hundreds of turn of the century reading lamps. It can offer a slick intellectual feel of the past.